Tuesday 14 September 2010

Cardiff - Home coming and new cruise home?

As many of you know – I am Welsh, very proud of it and hail from the wonderful capital city of Cardiff, tomorrow Wednesday 15th September is my day off and as my Father is still in Thailand, Im going to Cardiff to take my Grandfather shopping!! – Duty calls and all of that – but I was talking to one of my colleagues about it and she reminded me that in July this year the Cardiff Guardian wrote an article that Cardiff council are to pump £200,000 in to trying to make Cardiff recognised as on e of the UK Cruise Terminals.



Cardiff is aiming to attract some of the luxury liners such as Silversea and Residensea (apparently) carrying up to 540 passengers – The Alexandra docks in Cardiff were originally opened officially in 1907 by Queen Victoria. Now personally – I’ve seen these docks in various states over the years – From the mudflats of the Mid eighties when the coal industry suffered and right through to the ultra modern views of mermaid quay and Tiger bay – My favourite new addition has to be the water bus – This leaves from Penarth – ten minute down hill walk (20mins back up it again) from where I grew up as a child, these docks have become second to the swish apartments of places along the Thames, very hip & modern contemporary living – a perfect venue for a luxury liner to find itself a new home for sure!


‘Cruise lines are attracted to Cardiff because of the expanding cruise sector which is experiencing year on year growth (9%). The growth inevitably creates further jobs for ship pilots, taxi drivers, and dock security as well as on board crew. The average spend for passengers in 2008/9 was £70 per passenger’ The Cardiff Guardian has revealed


I look forward to the first voyage – think I may take a trip home just to see that one leave!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment