Tuesday 1 March 2011

Dydd Gwŷl Dewi Sant hapus - HAPPY SAINT DAVIDS DAY

Happy Saint Davids day to all my fellow kinsmen… Being from Cardiff, today marks an opportunity for me to remind everyone of my heritage – With my surname Lewis, you would think that people knew I was was welsh, but as I have long since lost my accent, a gentle reminder doesn’t hurt. I'm sat at my desk at cruise.co.uk waiting to get my Daffs out!!
For those of you that don’t know, Dewi Sant – St David is the patron saint of Wales and was born towards the end of the Fifth century. He was the founder of a Celtic monastic community at Glyn Rhosin which translates to the Valley of roses. This is where Saint Davids Cathedral stands today.
Saint David was a teacher and he was ascetic – (Asceticism describes away of life characterized by abstinence from different worldly pleasures, often with the aim of pursuing religious and spiritual goals) His foundation in Glyn Rhosin became an important Christian shrine, the most important in the whole of Wales. The 1st of March is recorded as the date of his passing, As his tearful monks prepared for his death St David uttered these words: 'Brothers be ye constant. The yoke which with single mind ye have taken, bear ye to the end; and whatsoever ye have seen with me and heard, keep and fulfil'.
Every year on 1st March – Parades are held in Cardiff to mark this honourable day – children dress up and perform celebrations which are called and Eisteddfod and this is when children wear robes of his day – the traditional welsh dress – Unfortunately I don’t have any of me at school, but this is the effect!


So in celebration of his life, eat welsh cakes, welsh rarebit and enjoy some leeks and daffodils and celebrate my heritage. The association between leeks and daffodils is strengthened by the fact that they have similar names in Welsh, Cenhinen (leek) and Cenhinen Pedr (daffodil, literally "Peter's leek").

Does anyone of my blog fan come from a land more interesting than my own? How do you celebrate your heritage?

No comments:

Post a Comment